East Valley High School
Home of the Falcons
So You’re Applying to College!
Remember to Follow these Simple Guidelines
Private/Out of State Universities: (USC, Pepperdine, Mt. St. Mary’s,…)
• Deadlines vary (most due by mid-January)
• Apply on-line: Individual school website or www.commonapp.org
• Comprehensive application need to list classes, activities, awards, work experience
• Needs Secondary School Report from Counselor (plus Transcripts)
• Needs Letters of Recommendations from Academic Teachers
• SAT Reasoning or ACT, plus sometimes 2 SAT Subject tests recommended
• Application usually has several essays or personal statements
• Application Fee: Varies per school or fee waiver
Check with Ms. Leaños in the College Center for Application
Workshop dates, fee waiver information, and other questions.
• October 11, 2014 Deadline to register: September 12, 2014
• November 8, 2014 Deadline to register: October 9, 2014
• December 6, 2014 Deadline to register: November 6, 2014
• September 13, 2014 Deadline to register: August 08, 2014
• October 25, 2014 Deadline to register: September 19, 2014
• December 13, 2014 Deadline to register: November 7, 2014
– January 1, 2015-March 2, 2015 (The Earlier the Better!)
– FAFSA and Cal Grant Verification: FFSA.ED.GOV
– Private School: May require earlier dates (February 15)
– Most colleges and universities have Placement Tests that are required. Check the website to know which ones are required for your colleges and their deadlines. Some schools will NOT accept you or DISENROLL you if you miss the placement test deadlines.
Acceptance to Colleges
– Generally, students are notified before March 31, 2015
Notice of Financial Aid
– Generally, students are notified before April 15, 2015
Student Intent to Register: (SIR)
– Students must notify the colleges that they are planning to attend before May 1, 2015
Deadline to Send Final Transcripts
– July 15, 2015
Reminder to Students:
1. Apply broadly to a wide-range of colleges.
2. Always check your emails and follow the directions given by the schools.
3. Open up an email account with the schools (Portals) and check regularly.
4. Take all of your placement tests EARLY!
5. Keep a calendar of all the deadlines. Don’t miss them!
6. Talk to the College Counselor immediately of there is a problem or question.
7. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!